Saturday 14 March 2009

Guildford at Night


Attended a Committee meeting for Guildford Photographic Society on Thursday, and realised on the way home that I had my tripod in the car. I had taken a few photogrtaphic notes earlier in the week with my Lumix, to remind me to try some night time images of Guildford with my Olympus E3 and a tripod. It was night, I had my Olympus, and I had my tripod! Off to park at the bottom of the High Street and set up some shots in Friary Street.


Things were going fine, even though I get really annoyed at all those cables strung across the streets in Guildford for Christmas decorations, which are left up ALL YEAR. I have removed them from the image using Photoshop.
Halfway through a long exposure (careful...!) at the North Street end of Friary Street, I was approached by two police officers about their nightly patrol. They quizzed me about what I was up to, perfectly politely, and after I reassured them I knew my Rights and was a member of GPS rather than a terrorist, they left me in peace.

Since I have looked at my results, I realise that I need to take more care setting the exposure for the highlights, as the tonal range at night is colossal, and I have many burnt out highlights to sort out.
Off to take some photos now, so will be wandering around town soon.

No comments: